College History

In 1907, the Board of Trustees approved the initiation of two-year programs in civil, electrical and mechanical engineering leading to bachelor’s degrees. Howard University was the first American university to offer engineering education to people of color.

It was during the period of 1907-1910 that the two-year programs in architecture, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering were introduced into the curriculum of the School of Manual Arts and Applied Sciences.

By 1911, a four-year curriculum leading to the bachelor's degree was established and a separate building was constructed and equipped to house the School.

Eight years later, the School of Manuel Arts and Applied Sciences was reorganized into the College of Applied Sciences, which included under its umbrella the departments of architecture, engineering, art and home economics.

In 1934, the School of Engineering and Architecture was established as a separate unit of the University--appropriate to the recognition of distinct and important role of engineering and architecture professions.

In 1970-1997, the School of Engineering and Architecture was divided into two schools--the School of Engineering and the School of Architecture and City Planning. During this period chemical engineering and the computer science programs, which were inaugurated in the 1970-1980 era.

Thus, after 27 years, the programs of both Schools were reunited under one organizational umbrella in 1997 as the College of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Sciences (CEACS).



After a century of existence, Howard University’s College of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Science is still steadfast in it original mission of educating and developing African Americans in the engineering fields. Along with being one of the top produces of black engineers, the college also attracts international students from countries on six continents.

News

CEA Women Faculty Doubles, While Women Assistant Professors Quadruple

Tue, July, 31 2018

The percentage of women faculty in the College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA) has doubled since 2015. The percentage of women assistant professors has quadrupled. Read More >>

Pre-College Engineering and Science Summer Academy Closing Ceremony

Mon, July, 23 2018

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Professors James Momoh and Peter Bofah successfully concluded their annual Pre-College Engineering and Science (PCES) Summer Residential Academy last Friday. Dr. Momoh's team included mentors from among CEA students and EECS graduates. Read More >>

Events