We welcome you to CEA!

The College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA) has the same admissions policy for all engineering departments, i.e., the Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Please see Architecture Admissions if you are looking to join the Department of Architecture. Information for potential applicants is maintained by the Office of Admissions. Each applicant is evaluated on an individual basis. Please visit the Howard University Office of Admissions for more details including deadlines and instructions for domestic and international admissions.

The CEA admissions policy is as follows:

Prospective students submit an application, an official transcript of the secondary school record and character recommendations from the school principal or counselor. An applicant must be a graduate of a secondary school or have equivalent credentials.

Minimum requirements for admission to the College of Engineering and Architecture are:

  1. a combined SAT score of 1080 or a composite score of 23 on the ACT;
  2. graduation from a secondary school with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 or higher out of 4.0 or equivalent; and
  3. completion of at least 15 units of high school coursework, including a minimum of four units of English, two units of social science, two units of science, and three units of mathematics. A unit represents one year of study in any subject in a secondary school. Applicants must furnish the results of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT I and SAT II in Mathematics). Admission is based on an evaluation of the academic record, test scores and letters of recommendation.

Transfer students must have completed at least fifteen (15) semester hours of course work including Mathematics and English.

International applicants must submit official transcripts of all work taken at other institutions (secondary and collegiate). A score of 90 on the Internet Based Test (IBT) of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for applicants whose native language is not English. In lieu of the TOEFL (if not offered in student’s country), applicants may submit results from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with an overall score of 6.5. The CEA Office of Student Services conducts an orientation program for new students who arrive in the fall semester. During the orientation, students get to know the chair of their department, and are briefed on the registration process to be conducted by each department. At the scheduled days for course registration, new students visit the department for advice on course selection.

Evaluating Student Performance


Students are evaluated with respect to their preparation for entry into the general practices of their selected discipline and preparation for graduate education. The basis of evaluation varies among courses. All students are evaluated on their course achievements in one or more of the following performance categories:

a. Homework exercises

b. Exams: tests and quizzes

c. Assignments

d. Project reports (design, written, oral)

The program follows the “A through F" grading system adopted by the University, where A, B, C, D and F represent excellent, good, fair, poor, and fail, respectively. On the grade point scale, A, B, C, D and F represent 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0, respectively. A student must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or above, both in chemical engineering courses and all the courses required for graduation. No more than one-sixth (20) of the total credit hours required for the degree (120) are allowed in D grades. Students can repeat a course with a grade of D or F for the purpose of improving a grade. Each instructor is required to include in the printed syllabus information on course policies and grading so that students are well aware of the evaluation and grading process in each course. Finals exams for courses are held per the schedule published by the Provost's Office in the University Bulletin located on the university's website. In some courses, instructors can choose to give a take-home exam.

The faculty advisor and the department chair are responsible for confirming that candidates meet the academic requirements for graduation. The entire faculty of each department votes on candidates who complete all academic requirements.


Monitoring by the college begins with the Office of Enrollment Management that sends the list of students and their current grade point averages to the Office of Student Services (OSS) of the College of Engineering and Architecture. OSS usually provides each department with its list of students. The list enables the departments to become aware of the overall performance of all current undergraduates, including those with less than satisfactory cumulative grade point average (CGPA) below 2.0. The Office of Enrollment Management contacts the failing students regarding the need to take steps to correct the problem and to see their advisors accordingly. Having been informed of poor performance, students meet with advisors or the department chair to discuss possible remedies. Reducing course loads, repeating specific courses, taking make-up courses during summer months, and advice on work-study balance are typical matters discussed. Students who are unable to correct negative academic trends are ultimately put on probation or suspended by the Office of Enrollment Management. Depending on the situation, suspended students may be advised to take specific courses at Howard University with stipulation or at another institution in preparation for repeating failed courses upon their return. OSS advises suspended students upon their return, in collaboration with the students' respective departments. The department chair stipulates the course or courses that the student must take and the minimum performance that the student must achieve before being allowed to take specific courses.

Students who exhibit high performance are often recognized by the Tau Beta Pi Society with invitation to join the organization. Faculty members may use the list provided by OSS to recognize the names of students who appear to qualify for certain scholarships and fellowships.

Sometime between the last semester of the junior year and the first semester of the senior year, prospective graduates are required to complete the curriculum Check Sheet for review by their advisors. The department chair receives the check sheets and with the help of a faculty advisor conducts a verification exercise using information on the student’s transcript. Subsequently, the entire department faculty votes on all candidates who satisfy all academic graduation requirements.

Transfer Students and Transfer Courses

While the Office of the Registrar handles admission of transfer students, the Department and the Office of the Registrar handle approval of transfer credits. A transfer student must be in good academic standing at the institution attended to qualify for admission. Transfer students on probation or academic suspension are ineligible for admission. Transfer credits are awarded after review of official transcripts from the student's previous institutions by the program. Courses for which credit is given must be equivalent to Howard University courses in content and credit hours. Only courses in which a grade of "C" or better was obtained are transferable. To establish this, the student must provide official course descriptions and a current course catalog/syllabus. To enforce the policy for acceptance of transfer credit, only designated program faculty members can recommend courses for transfer credit to the department chair. Details of the transfer credit policy of the program are as follows:

1. Transfer Credit Review Process

a. Official transcripts, along with a copy of the course catalog showing descriptions of the courses in the transcripts, from the institutions attended by a student must be submitted to the department for evaluation.

b. If any document mentioned above is not in English, a notarized translation of the document in English must be accompanied by the original non-English document. An official translation by WES into the equivalent US system showing grades and credit hours is acceptable.

c. Advanced level (A level) courses with grades of “C” or higher will be processed accordingly.

d. The transcripts and the catalog are reviewed by an appointed faculty member of the program.

e. After the approval from the department chair, the list of the approved courses for transfer are sent through the Office of Student Services to the Registrar's Office for posting on the student’s transcript.

f. Limitations in Transfer Credit

g. Only the courses that correspond in credit hours and content to the courses offered at the Department can be transferred.

h. One credit hour in a quarter system is converted to 2/3 credit hour of Howard University semester standard.

i. The maximum number of credit hours transferable is 60 hours.

j. Transfer credits shall be granted only for the courses completed within six calendar years before the student's first enrollment at Howard University. However, students can petition the department chair, during the first semester at the University, to ask for examination for possible transfer of those courses taken more than six years prior.

2. Course Transfer Limitation of Howard University Students

a. After the first enrollment at Howard University, the core courses of the program can only be taken at other institutions including consortium universities, with approval of the department chair.

b. Students have the right to bring their individual and specific cases, before taking core courses at other institutions, to the department chair and the appointed faculty member for approval.


Advising and Career Guidance

The advising process for new and transfer students begins with a week-long program "Howard University 101," designed to introduce students to the university, their colleges and their respective departments. This program includes the mandatory Presidential Welcoming and Pinning Ceremony for all new undergraduate students in addition to a number of activities for both students and parents that are designed to welcome students and their family to the university. The College of Engineering and Architecture offers advisory programs to support all students. Full time support staff is provided through the Office of Student Services. The staff of the Office of Student Services facilitates mentoring and tutoring services to entering freshmen and to students with academic difficulty. In addition, faculty members, the department chair, and department staff members regularly advise students on a variety of difficult issues they may encounter during the course of their study, including career options and opportunities for internships and full time jobs. During the initial registration period, new students are advised by the department chair and a selected group of faculty members who review the current curriculum, degree requirements, as well as a plan of study with the students. It is at this stage that a student is assigned a permanent faculty advisor. 

During the following semesters, the department faculty advisors meet with students regularly, advise them on course selection, course registration, career development, and provide other necessary support. Advising hours are made known to students by notices posted on the office doors of faculty and in the department office. The notices include the name of the faculty member, room number, advising hours, telephone number and email address. Moreover, all students must see their faculty advisors at least twice a semester for course registration and reporting of any changes in their program and progress. In order for students to participate in the online registration, they must first discuss and obtain a list of approved courses by faculty advisors. This list must be signed by the faculty advisor giving the permission to the student to register before a pin number is issued to the student. Hard copies of the approved list of courses are kept in the department files.

A student must get pre-approval from the department (faculty advisor and department chair) before taking a course at a consortium member institution. (The consortium consists of Washington D.C. Metropolitan Universities within which students of member universities can take equivalent courses and receive a grade directly on their Howard University transcript.) The pre-approval process requires filling out the Approval Form for taking courses outside of Howard University and submitting it with the syllabus for the external course(s) to the faculty advisor, who signs and forwards the form to the department chair. An approved and signed copy is given to the student, a copy is placed in the department file, and the original is placed in the student's folder. In the case of non-consortium universities, the grades must be sent directly (sealed, official transcripts) to the Director of Student Services, who initiates the request to the department for transferring the credits to the student's Howard University transcript.

Senior level students must develop a complete graduation check sheet, starting at the second semester of the junior year, but no later than the fall semester of the senior year. The check sheet shows the courses completed as well as those that are still outstanding. The check sheet is reviewed for accuracy and signed by a special designated faculty advisor. The department chair reviews the check sheet for accuracy and other matters that may adversely impact a student’s expected graduation. Detailed information can also be found in the undergraduate program handbooks, located on the undergraduate program webpage for each department. Faculty advisors and the department chair use advising meetings to apprise students of career opportunities and options after graduation. Howard University holds two career fairs – one each in the fall and spring - where students see over a hundred employers in public and private sectors. Students are encouraged to actively participate in the career fairs to seek internship and full-time opportunities, as well as visit our Job and Internship Opportunities webpage. Several professors use these career fairs to give assignments which familiarize students with the roles in industry related to their selected discipline and what options they have for career paths. Additionally, several companies come to campus and conduct information sessions on the work they do, as well as how to interview and prepare resumes. Seminars in the department and college are another means of disseminating information and engaging students in career options.

Work in Lieu of Courses

Students can receive course credit for work they have completed in high school by taking the appropriate Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam. In general, AP scores of 4 or 5 and IB scores on higher-level IB exams of 5, 6 or 7 in most courses are required for credit in the College of Engineering and Architecture.

Graduation Requirements

In order for a student to receive the bachelor's degree, the student must satisfy all entrance requirements; satisfactorily complete the course requirements of the department for the degree; have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.0 and at least a 2.0 GPA in the selected major. The GPA for the major is computed based on all courses required by the department and taken by the student. The student must not have a grade of D in more than one-sixth of the total credit hours earned; for 120 total credit hours, the student may not have more 20 credits of Ds (1/6th of the total number of credits). Students enrolled must follow the published curriculum for their degree program. The department must approve any deviation from the published curriculum, and it must be consistent with current curriculum criteria set by ABET. In summary, to receive a bachelor's degree, students must:

  • Obtain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
  • Obtain a major GPA of at least 2.0
  • Not have a grade of D in more than 1/6 of the credits presented for graduation
  • Apply for graduation and submit a curriculum coursework checklist to the department for certification by the advisor and department chair

The procedure of verifying the requirement and receiving the degree is as follows:

  1. Senior level students must develop a complete senior check sheet, starting at the second semester of the junior year, but no later than the fall semester of the senior year. The check sheet shows the courses completed as well as those that are still outstanding. The check sheet is reviewed for accuracy and signed by a designated faculty advisor. The department chair verifies the check sheet against the official transcript and compiles a list of students who have met the requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering.
  2. The department faculty approves each prospective candidate.
  3. The department chair presents a list of prospective candidates to the College of Engineering and Architecture faculty for approval at the meetings of faculty, called for this purpose.
  4. After certification of financial clearances by the appropriate offices in the university, the final list of prospective candidates for graduation is compiled, and the dean then presents these candidates to receive their degrees at the University Convocation.

Transcripts of Recent Graduates

Students’ academic transcripts are available on Bison web and the progress can be tracked by the faculty advisor in Degree Works.

More Information

Additional information regarding the application process and deadlines, tuition rates, and financial aid is available. The Division of Student Affairs is the portal for student housing. 

We encourage prospective students to visit our beautiful campus and meet with our distinguished faculty and students. Feel free to contact us with further questions or to schedule a visit.

Get started today!